When my friend asked, “Why shop at a farmers market?” I was almost speechless. I thought everybody loved shopping at farmers markets. Here’s a quick list of why I do.
- Dinner: What’s being harvested now becomes, “what’s for dinner”! Dinner plans are high on my list.
- Nutrition: Next to grazing in the field the market is where I get the freshest primo foods.
- Flavor: I get the most delicious dinner fixin’s, as well as lunch fixin’s, and breakfast fixin’s. Thank God for heavy duty canvas bags to tote the bounty home.
- Snacks: Bread and cheese, strawberries, or wild blueberry muffins are right there for a quick bite to eat.
- Adventure: I love to see the intense colors and all of nature’s designs at the market. I like to look for something unusual and try it.
- Support local farmers: Like the bumper sticker says, “No Farms No Food” or the other bumper sticker; “Yes Farms Yes Food”
- Learning: The farmers, producers, and gatherers know their stuff. When they share a recipe, I dance home and make it.
- Save money: I do find deals. The Farmers Market Coalition backs me up on this.
- Fun: It’s a regular festival, with kids frolicking, musicians playing, and sometimes with pie slices tempting me. Have I said I like to eat?
- Building community: Shopping through the rhythm of the seasons and with my community; truly heartwarming.
- A treat: Perhaps a jar of jam and some wild mushrooms will be a-special-something-purchase.
- Simple pleasures: Touching the herb starts, smelling the fresh cut flowers, and photographing awesome displays of food, these are a few of my favorite things.
Those are my whys. How about you? Let me know!