- Prep time
- 25 minutes
- Soy, Wheat
- Gluten Free, Vegan, Vegetarian
- Meal type
- Appetizer, Lunch, Salad
- Child Friendly, Serve Cold
Big fresh Ooba Shiso Leaves (or substitute romaine lettuce leaves) are used to wrap rice, kimchi, cucumber, and parsley for a fun and fresh self serve fest at the table. It is delicious and fast with all the ingredients available in Western Massachusetts during the month of August.
- 16 Leaves Fresh Raw Large Shiso (Get the Ooba variety to grow your own Ooba variety. I got mine from the Kitchen Garden stand at the Nothampton Market)
- 2 cups Cooked Rice (Sticky rice is best and any cool or room temperature rice will do nicely)
- 2 cups Kim Chi (Choose a brand made in your area or home made would be fabulous)
- 1 Cucumber (cut in long match sticks)
- 1/2 cup Chopped Parsley
- 1 cup Fresh Tofu (Optional)
- 1/4 cup Tamari Soy Sauce (Serve in tiny dipping bowls)
- 1 tablespoon Wasabi (Optional, if you want another spicy hot flavor)
- Step 1
- Step 2
Set up all the filling ingredients in separate bowls for self serve as each person builds their own wrap.
- Step 3
The host may want to demonstrate the building of a wrap for the new comers to leaf wrapping. Lay the ingredients in the center of the leaf. Start the rolling on the side of the leaf, tucking in the stem as you roll.
- Step 4
- Step 5